Monday, October 24, 2011

international development

When I tell people that I am getting my masters in International Development, most of the time they look at me with a blank stare and say, "Ummmm and what do you do with that?" I usually answer, "Why, develop internationally, of course!" because I'm not even really sure what I will do with it...yet.

But this past week, I have seen my training come to life.  Jeannine and I traveled to Cyeza to meet with the Abarikumwe Association to begin interviews for an Environmental Impact Assessment and for my final paper for my master's program...which will look at the cultural impact of groups working with Azizi Life.

We caught up with the ladies during their weekly weaving time and began with group interviews...
The women of Abarikumwe weaving in their regular meeting place, the Association President's home
I was shown step by step how to weave our loop earrings...
Yusta modeling freshly stripped sisal fibers.
Florida showing me the finishing touches.

We did community mapping...

 And I may or may not have passed out some Post-it page markers...

During our interviews...the idea of the people who buy their products being rich came up...the women expressed that only rich people with lots of extra money would buy their jewlery, otherwise...they would spend their money on resolving problems. When I asked them how much money does one need to be rich...they said it would take them earning 60,000 Rwandan Francs a month to be rich...that's about $1,000 US a month...think about that for a little while...

Also...We Got Mail!!!! (Vol. 4) click here!

Much love,
Emily Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment